Social Media

I made a twitter specifically for this occasion. I am now following Donald Trump, NPR, and thee Washington Post.
I was drawn to the news posted by NPR on the resignation of Scott Pruitt. I have strongly disagreed with much of what Pruitt has done in office, both in terms of policy, and in terms of corruption. I am very glad to see him go.
While I do not personally use social media very much at all, I do feel that they are a huge boon to people's ability to obtain information and a benefit to democracy. Yes, echo chambers are a serious problem, but it is almost certainly still significantly better than a lack of the internet itself. People are still getting a lot more information than they used to, and they can still easily look up or find information that would be outside of their echo chamber, which is bound to happen to at least some extent, whether it comes through passing a TV on a station you don't normally watch, or overhearing coworkers who disagree with you. People can find information, verify it, organize, and take action significantly faster than ever before, and it is a wonderful thing, if still imperfect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fake News

My Media Diet

Agents of Shield